Frequently Asked Questions

Got Questions? We have all the answers

Our database answers the most frequently asked questions about our pilot training. In case that you don't find your question answered, please contact us at

How can I pay for my living costs? Is it possible to have a job alongside the pilot training?

Our pilot training is designed to be a full-time activity. Successfully completing it depends on a high level of focus. We thus do not recommend taking on any additional employment during the training. Should you need assistance in covering the cost of living, it may be possible for you to apply for government assistance under the German BAföG program.

How old do I need to be when starting pilot training?

You need to be at least 18 years old when beginning the training. Please note that you can already submit your application for our MPL program when you are 17 years of age; for our ATPL program, you need to be 18 years old to apply.

Can I become a pilot without perfect sight?

Yes, not all pilots have 20/20 vision. Your eyesight will be assessed by a doctor as part of your medical.

What nationalities are admitted?

You need a permanent EU & CH residence with a work permit and an unrestricted passport to be able to apply.

What languages do I need to speak? When and how are my language skills tested?

The training courses in our ATPL program are taught in English, thus you need to be fluent to take part in this program. In contrast, much of the teaching in our MPL program is in German. We thus require both fluent German and English skills for this program. Your German skills need to have a C1 level and your English skills a B2 level. Anyone who speaks German daily or as a native does not need to provide any language certificates for German. Similarly, English native speakers do not need to provide certificates for English. Please note that we do not need any proof of English skills at the time of application. Demonstrating an adequate level of English is then one part of the selection procedure.

Which school diploma do I need?

For our ATPL training course, you need a general/subject-linked university entrance qualification or secondary school leaving certificate and completed vocational training. For our MPL training course, you need a diploma that qualifies you for university matriculation (equivalent to German Abitur) or a general/subject-specific higher education entrance qualification. If you are applying with a foreign school diploma, we initiate certificate recognition at the Bavarian certificate recognition office after passing the group qualification (GQ). Subject to successful recognition, you will then go on to the course. Applicants with an International Baccalaureate need to provide a certificate from their school confirming that the diploma is equivalent to German higher education entrance qualification (as stipulated in the Conference of Ministers of Culture and Education 1986 in the version published on June 25th, 2010).

Can I already apply before I have received my school diploma?

Yes, but only one year before you plan to receive your degree at the earliest. The minimum age to apply for pilot training is 17 years for the MPL program and 18 years for the ATPL program.

Do I need to have a specific grade average to be able to apply?

There is no certain grade point average you need to achieve. Your final grade only gives a partial indication on your chances in the aptitude tests. We require a solid knowledge base in the subjects math, physics and English in years 8 to 11, because this will be tested when we look at your technical skills. Yet, we also greatly value your motivation to achieve and your passion for the job.

Is professional experience required?

No professional experience is required.